07 September 2008

I Am SO Not Your Friend Anymore!

It is 8:19 and we have finished putting the kids to bed (Connlaodh had to be put to bed twice- ha ha). I am sitting in the loft, right outside the kids' rooms, listening to Angry Eibhlin tell me how much she doesn't like me ... and, for now, I am laughing my ass off.

Eibhlin did NOT want to go to bed. She must have told me 100 times between 7:50 and 8 o'clock that she had no intention of going to bed.

"Mommy, I do not want to go to bed now."
"I do not need to go to bed right now, Mom."
"Mimi, noooo, please don't make me go to bed."

Despite her nearly-convincing arguments, I persisted and, finally, put her to bed.

For fifteen solid minutes after I shut her door, this is what I heard...(as you read this, imagine a high pitched shriek, my guess would be similar to a Siren...and be sure to emphasize the words in all caps with an increase in level of at least 100 decibels):

"You are NOT my friend anymore."
"YOU are not my friend anymore."
"I am GLAD you are NOT my friend."
"I am SO not YOUR friend anymore."
"I do not want YOU to be my friend."
"I don't like you; you are not my FRIEND."
(sound of jumping on the bed)
"YOU are not my FRIIIIIIEEEEENNNND."
(sound of stuffed animals being thrown at the fan)
"I do not LIIIIIIKE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU."
"I am NOT your friend."

So, why am I laughing my ass off? Because while I am sure this will not be the only time I hear this sentiment from my daughter's lips, I am fairly certain it will be one of the only times in which I will be more likely to get a hug and a kiss from her if I went in right now than I would get a smack in the head. My guess is that shift will take place in a little less than 10 years. So, for now, I am laughing because it really is funny. I wouldn't let her see me laughing- I am not that cold- but I can't help but slap my hand over my mouth to stifle a guffaw every time I hear a new variation of the same theme.

Okay, and now 24 minutes after bedtime, she is simply screaming in 1 minute intervals.

Damn...if this is the reaction I get over bedtime, what in the world will I get when I tell her she can't have a boyfriend or wear make up until she is 20. Ha ha.

( a few moments later)

So I broke down and went in and informed her very politely of the fact that she was keeping her brothers awake and that she needed to stop screaming...

Okay, so what really came out of my mouth was something along the lines of, "You need to stop this now otherwise you will be given something to scream about. Get a book, get a doll, get a pillow, whatever it takes, but stop screaming now or else there will be consequences."

She asked for a book. And I got my hug and kiss without even having to ask. All is well. And, wait....yes, I hear it--- silence from the pink and yellow room down the hall.

Good night!

No comments:

Followers