03 November 2013

A Little Extra Time for the Little Things

DAY THREE - 3 November 2013

Taidhgin: I am thankful for Sundays because sometimes I don't have to do anything on Sunday...like today.

Eibhlin: I am thankful for my mom because when I don't want to do stuff around the house, she asks me to go grocery shopping with her and I'm like, "Yeah, sure." She gets me out of the stuff I don't like!

Connlaodh: I am thankful for Uilleam again because I get to play with him.

Uilleam: My birthday cake makes me happy.

It is all about the little things; my kids absolutely know this better than I do, that's for sure. A day off, a trip to Kroger, playing outside, and cake are all things that we can take for granted, dismiss easily, ignore altogether- but not my kiddos, not today. Today those were the things that made them smile, allowed them to breathe, and for which they were grateful. An interesting little side note to this is that Taidhgin spent the better part of the day raking leaves and helping Aaron with the lawn: his world must be pretty freaking crazy if hours upon hours of lawn maintenance is perceived as a day "off"! Also, I would like it noted first that Uilleam's birthday isn't for another three months, so I am not sure where that little slice of thought came from. Also, please know that while cake may make Uilleam happy, eating it does not. I don't think that boy has ingested a piece of cake ever, at least not willingly. Wait, I take that back. He did like the cheesecake we had the other night. Smart boy.

What am I thankful for today? The extra hour for (whatever!) that I got today. We had no plans, no obligations, and no schedule...so today was all about the little things, the house things, the nothings. I spent hours dehydrating fruit, folding clothes, washing clothes, making meals, grocery shopping, helping with Christmas lists (spelling does count, you know), and doing whatever. We sure don't get enough days like this during the year, so when one comes along, we take full advantage. I got to spend a little time with everyone today, a little one on one with each of my kiddos, and spent the day in yoga pants, a run shirt, and sporting a ponytail. The little things. They count. And without them, the rest of it would be too much.



No comments:

Followers