02 November 2013

It's A Family Affair

This year I decided to involve the kids in what has become an annual ritual for me: my Thirty Days of Thanks. We talked a bit about what it means to be thankful each day for those things, big and small, that make a difference in our lives. We're a little behind (shocker, I know), but here we go:

DAY TWO - 2 NOVEMBER 2013

Taidhgin: I am thankful for having a family, because otherwise I wouldn't be here!

Eibhlin: I am thankful for my family because they are really nice.

Connlaodh: I am thankful for Uilleam because he makes me laugh.

Uilleam: I like using the potty.

It's all about priorities, I guess! :-)

Aaron and I were able to spend some quality time with that little man today: just the three of us, wandering the aisles at Sprouts, eating apples and laughing at each other's jokes and silly comments. As much as I know he loves his brothers and sister, I know he doesn't get anywhere near as much time with us alone as did any of the other kiddos. I am so thankful to have him all the time, but even more thankful for the moments when we/I get him all to ourselves.


DAY ONE - 1 NOVEMBER 2013

Taidhgin: I am thankful for the luck of the gods: Zeus, Poseidon, and Hephaestus.

Eibhlin: I am thankful for my teachers, because my teachers make me laugh. When I am feeling sad, they make me happy again. And they teach me stuff I didn't know before.

Connlaodh: I am thankful for the sharks because we got to swim with them and the stingrays. One of the stingrays came up to my face!

Uilleam: I am thankful for turtles.

As for me, I am thankful for having been able to give to my children the gift of brothers and a sister, for tonight my eldest saved the heart of my third born, giving him a shoulder to cry on and the opportunity to feel not-so-alone. After having competed in his first tournament ever, and placing third (instead of the much desire first), Connlaodh was distraught, crying his poor, big, brown eyes out until they were red. Taidhgin not only competed in his tournament with the goal of winning for Connlaodh but, on the way home, he wrapped his heart around his baby brother and told him how he, too had gotten third in his first tournament, so he knew how bad it hurt...but how Connlaodh should be so proud of himself for not having been nervous and for having done as well as he did. Fifteen minutes later, Taidhgin had Connlaodh laughing and smiling again, as only a big brother could have done.




No comments:

Followers