05 November 2013

Ice Cream Cones Aren't Cold...They're Yummy.

DAYS FOUR AND FIVE - 4 - 5 November 2013

Taidhgin:
I am thankful for school because otherwise I'd be a dumb person. I am also thankful for my friends because otherwise I'd be alone ...

Eibhlin: I am thankful for books because they keep me happy when I am bored and don't have anything to do. I am thankful for pictures, too...they help me think of my family.

Connlaodh: I am thankful for the tv because on the weekends we get to watch tv. I am also thankful for you (Mom), because otherwise I wouldn't be able to eat dinner.

Uilleam: I like ice cream cones because ice cream cones are good. They're not cold, they're yummy. I like lions and elephants. Because it's cool. They're not sad, they're funny.

Ice cream cones are yummy and lions and elephants are funny. What more do you need to know? I think we can go ahead and just put it out there that I grateful every day to have these little moments of genius in my life. These kids of mine have life all figured out, don't they? Friends and family are important, books and school are important, food is important, and smiling is important. I honestly believe they've covered it all. Without food, family, knowledge, sustenance, and a reason to smile, what reason is there to be? It is interesting how the things they are grateful to have in their world so easily remind me of what everyone should be grateful for, regardless of age. I cannot wait to see what they think about tomorrow.

As for me, I spent most of my night last night watching my kids at their different activities. First we had art class and then, just for Connlaodh, we had wrestling. As I sat there watching Connlaodh tackle this sport he's never played, I realized just how awesome it is that our kids are growing up so interested in all that is new, different, and exciting. They are willing to go anywhere, try (almost) anything, eat (almost) anything, talk to anyone, and just live every moment at 100%. They are at a point in their lives where anything is possible, mean is for adults, and playing a sport/participating in an activity is fun no matter how well you perform. I am so grateful for the openness of their hearts and minds and up can only hope that they continue to see life as an adventure to be embraced and a challenge to enjoy and master.

And what about today? Today I have spent a lot of time thinking about my body and how fortunate am to have the one that I do. Not because it's awesome to look at, though I hope one day to be thankful for that, too- ha!- but because it works and works well. Every day it runs for me, works out for me, cooks for me, rushes around for me, lifts and bends for me, breathes for me...and all without complaint. When I wanted it to, it carried children for me; when I needed it to, it birthed them. I have abused this vessel inside and out, treated it worse than anything else in my life, and yet every day it bends to my will as best as it can. Not everyone has this luxury; I know of too many for whom running is impossible, carrying children is a dream, and rushing around is a nightmare. So on days like today where I was nursing a sore bunion after my run, I have to be thankful for that being the worst of my ailments. And, in gratitude, I am now going to treat this persevering body of mine to some Halloween candy that I stole from the kids. Shhh...






No comments:

Followers