29 June 2008

All's Quiet on the Upstairs Front

Everyone is still asleep. It is amazing how quiet the house is when no one is moving. As much as I am enjoying it, I couldn't imagine my house sounding like this all the time.
Here is what will happen soon...I will hear the gate creak open. I will look up and see one of the boys, swinging the gate open and closed. If it's Connlaodh, I will go up to get him. If it's Taidhgin, I will ask him to come down. Either way, within minutes I will hear the footsteps of the second brother. Both boys will come down, start breakfast, and quietly play at the table. About ten minutes later, Eibhlin will be at the gate- having closed it already, which means I will need to go up and open it- and she will say, "Good morning!". By the time she gets downstairs, the boys' volume will have gone from 2 to 10 and my day will have begun in earnest- functioning at top volume until bedtime.

I can remember entire Sunday mornings that would sound like this...Aaron would be sleeping and I would be working on assignments for class or on my own classwork. The house would lie dormant, except for whatever limited movements I made in the office. That was a long time ago...and long before I welcomed these amazing creatures into my life.

So for right now, right this moment, I will quietly sip my coffee and appreciate the silence there is for now.

But wait, I hear the gate now...it is big brother. Guess I couldn't expect it to last forever- and definitely wouldn't want it to...

No comments:

Followers