30 June 2008

Does Making Blue and Green Food for the Kids Count as a Hobby?

I recently got in touch with an old friend from high school who asked me, "Do you have any hobbies, or are the kids all-consuming?"

Reaction #1: Hmmm...am I being completely roasted for having no life outside of my children?
Reaction #2: Poor, poor thing...hasn't quite realized the utter joy of giving your body, heart, and soul to your offspring?
Reaction #3: What ARE hobbies, anyway?

So I started thinking about my hobbies. You know, I don't recall ever having any. I read (and still do) and wrote (still do), but I never really looked at those as hobbies; those activities were more along the lines of necessities. I liked to travel (still do, though not as extensively as maybe I would otherwise), I loved working on projects around the house (see note re: travel)...but again, never really thought of these things as hobbies. Hobbies always seemed to be things like trains, painting, model airplanes...things that cost more money than I care to spend on things that do nothing other than sit and look nice.

Aaron's idea is that anything you spend a significant amount of time on, outside of work, is a hobby. Hmm...guess for me that would be balancing the checkbook and paying bills.

Merriam-Webster defines hobby as "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation ".
Collins Essential English Dictionary defines hobby as "an activity pursued in one's spare time for pleasure or relaxation".
Wikipedia states that a hobby is a "a spare-time recreational pursuit".
Dictionary.com concurs that a hobby is "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation".

So, based on the idea that a hobby is something done for fun OUTSIDE of one's job, and I often have fun outside of my job- ha ha- I have to have a hobby somewhere...

1) On the weekends, when we have nothing we HAVE to do around the house, what do I choose to do to have fun?
Go to the zoo or some other random location with Aaron and the kids.
2) During the week, after work and if I had no other obligations to concern myself with, what would I most like to do?
Play outside with the kids.
3) Is there anything that I plan around, for, etc?
Traveling with the family, etc.

I am noticing a pattern here. So I guess I DO have a hobby. It just doesn't sound quite as exotic as traveling through foreign lands or as intellectual as collecting numbered prints or as "productive" as decorating my home and yard.

The answer to the original question posed is then, "Yes...and yes".
I can live with that.

No comments:

Followers