25 November 2012

FLYING, RUNNING, FOOD, AND MORE FLYING.

DAY TWENTY -  20 November 2012
Tuesday was a busy day, even by our standards. We had work and school, packing to do, dogs to drop off, a house to close up, and an early flight to Boston to catch. The kids were running ragged, we were exhausted, and, as we sat in row 16 of our Jet Blue flight, we realized that we had four very long hours ahead of us during which we had to keep the children entertained.We had high hopes that Jet Blue's in-seat television setup would be all we need, but with the glitches and the lack of sound (who the hell forgot to pack the headsets?), that reprieve last about 10 minutes. Fortunately, the boys didn't really care and after a while they just stared at the screen, lost in their own inner dialogues. Uilleam kept himself busy by ripping apart magazines and climbing all over us. Eibhlin was a different story; she was bored, so bored, and was trying so hard to behave. Fortunately for her -  and for us - her seatmate was a saint!
This young man, a freshman at TCU this year and self-proclaimed "Chatty Chris", was on his way home to Boston for the holidays and was just thrilled to make the acquaintance of one very verbose little 7 year old. They talked about the ocean and how sharks were scary, about TCU and Rice University and about how Eibhlin can't wait to be an owl, about "iCarly" and "Good Luck, Charlie" and a host of other tween shows. They talked birthdays and holidays, favorite colors and vacation destinations, and so much more. Eibhlin couldn't have been happier and this young man couldn't have been kinder. Thank you, Chris, not only for making our lives easier by keeping Eibhlin entertained, but more for making one little girl's evening just perfect...which we could tell it was, based on how red she turned when we mentioned your name later on.

DAY TWENTY-ONE - 21 November 2012
The day began with a run. I hate running. I really, really do. It is boring and miserable and painful and not at all the "freeing" sport people claim it is. Personally, I think those people have themselves completely deluded; I cannot see how anyone can consider running fun and exhilarating instead of what it really is -- insane. It does do amazing things for one's thighs and calves, but aside from that- blech. However, this morning's run in the 35-degree MA morning was sunny, relaxing, and worth every OMFG-what-am-I-doing minute of it. For a brief moment (or 29), my mind was clear and all I thought about was the next hill, the next turn, the next mile. A little bit of clarity is a good thing; it almost makes the running bullsh*t worthwhile...sometimes.

DAY TWENTY-TWO - 22 November 2012
Thanksgiving Day. I am thankful to again be able to sit back and take in all that the world has to offer, all that my head and my heart and my spirit can hold, all that is available to be seen and loved and appreciated and witnessed. Family, friends, warmth, love, forgiveness, rebirth - I am so fortunate to have the world that I have, the world in which I live, love, and am loved. I have more than I ever could have imagined in so many aspects of my life and for that and more, on this day, I am truly thankful.

DAY TWENTY-THREE -  23 November 2012
After a whirlwind week of food, family, fun, flying, etc., it is time to head back home to Arlington. I can't come up with a singular thing to be thankful for on this Black Friday. All I can think of is how wonderful it is that between Logan and Atlanta, everyone got a meal they liked and were willing to eat, full enough so that they all slept quietly for most of our trip home. Peace and quiet at last.

DAY TWENTY-FOUR - 24 November 2012
I am thankful for my family's willingness to take on a little adventure when I get a wild hair up my ass. I don't sit still well and so find myself coming up with little trips to take, projects to take on, groups to join, etc. all in an effort to quell the gypsy inside when she gets too loud (she is great and is the reason I have lived the life I have, but sometimes she moves around too much for my own sanity).
My family has graciously gone along with the vast majority of my schemes and plans, even the ones that involves hours on the road for minutes of amusement. They even came up with a motivating cheer, "What stops this family? NOTHING (except volcanoes, tornadoes, and maybe hurricanes)!" in support of my drive to go, go, go. I am so thankful for them and their thoughtful and smiling participation in all of my wild exploits. Without them, none of it would be anywhere near as much fun as it is.

No comments:

Followers