30 November 2011

How is Your Husband Like a Bikini?

People shop for a bathing suit with more care than they do a husband or wife. The rules are the same. Look for something you'll feel comfortable wearing. Allow for room to grow.
~Erma Bombeck


Day Thirty: For the last twenty-nine days my husband has asked about, implied that, mentioned, noted, etc. that his poor little name was not posted somewhere on this blog. Little comments like, "Could be thankful for your husband!" have permeated my days. Part of me has wanted to dig in my heels, stick out my tongue, and tell him to go screw- if you have to ask for it, you probably don't deserve it! However, despite my aggravation, irritation, and frustration with him, he deserves some notice...even if only a paragraph or so.


I have a theory that marriage doesn't have to be perfect or even gloriously happy; it has to be a state where for at least four days out of every seven, you're good with it. If it goes the other way, say you're only good two or three days, then there's a problem. But really, anyone who says their marriage is perfect is either lying, drunk, or missing their frontal lobe (or any combination thereof). With that said, after 12 1/2 years of marriage and 16+ total years of partnership, Aaron is still ok four days out of every seven. Some weeks are better than others, but, overall, I am grateful to have him in my life...especially now that the last decade-plus worth of his training is finally paying off! He has given me a beautiful home, four incredible children, plenty of ammunition with which to make fun of him, a couple great pairs of earrings, an awesome wool coat, and, most of all, someone with whom I know that, for better or worse, I can share my world and everything in it for as long as I can see in the future. That has to be worth at least 30 days of thanks in and of itself.

No comments:

Followers