21 November 2011

She's Alive!

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures." ~Thornton Wilder

Day Twenty-One: It has become more and more difficult each day to come up with one thing for which to be thankful; the problem lies not in that there too few things worth being grateful to have in my life, but rather that the more I think about it, the more I realize the list of gifts in my life for which I am thankful are damn near endless. I have sat here most nights and spent more time thinking about what one idea/item I will write about than I have actually writing; most nights I have jotted some ideas on a second list about what to write about being thankful for on subsequent days. These items range from the simple (my warm, fuzzy Crocs) to the profound (the tug at my heart when a student thanks me) to the comical (my awesome hair which, combed or not, looks exactly the same and so can be left alone!) to the somber (the time I had with my grandfather before he died wherein we were able to make amends and learn to love each other again). Now that I think of it, that's what I am thankful for today- not for any one of those thoughts listed, but for having the privilege to have so much in my life to be thankful for each day, so much that it's nearly impossible to choose just one gift to make noteworthy to the world.

No comments:

Followers