07 November 2011

So I'm Late....and You Know What THAT Means

How many of you are right now saying, "You are kidding me? She's knocked up AGAIN!?" (Yes, I see all hands are now in the air). Okay, so no, I am not pregnant. But I am late- in action, in will, in thought, etc.

I have been reading my friends' blog and Facebook posts for the last week and have seen a pattern among them: many of their posts start with "Day Number" and are followed by a note about something for which they are thankful. Some of the items for which they are thankful are deep, profound, touching...others are small, trivial, and important in their simplicity. What has struck me most, though, is how each day these friends sound more, well, thankful. Happy. Content. Secure. Gracious. HERE.

I will be the first to admit that I don't spend a lot of time acknowledging the gifts in my life as much as I should; how many of us really do have that kind of time to spare? Hmm. Given the fact that most people walk around ready to lash out, be a victim, take advantage, be hurt, give hurt, cry, scream, sigh, etc. I guess the real question is how many of us should be making that kind of time. So I looked into what could be the catalyst for this thanks-giving being done by my friends and I came across 30 Days of Thanks. This is where I realized I was coming into the game a little late...apparently this project began on 1 Nov. Well, better late than never (especially in the case of my period, for those of you interested in knowing where I stand on that subject these days!).

I don't think giving thanks is merely a religious thing (or only a Pilgrim thing, either). I think it's a human thing. So, in an effort to allow myself the opportunity to be human for a moment, I decided to go ahead and back up, run through some quickies (no pun intended), and get myself caught up. I am sure points will be deducted for this being turned in late; hopefully I complete my assignment well enough to at least pass.

Day One: I am thankful for having finally gotten a phone plan (and phone!) that allows me access to Pandora (yet again, better late than never). For an hour every morning while at the gym, I can relive the music of my youth- yes, my angry youth- and work out harder, smile a little at some memories (cringe at quite a few more), and simultaneously be 16 again AND be okay with my 36 year old gray hair and wrinkles. Thank you, Pandora, for being on my phone.

Day Two: I owe a world of thanks to Children's University for making Connlaodh feel smart, big, wonderful, proud, and HAPPY to be going to school. Connlaodh spent last year fighting us tooth and nail, every morning. He cried, he threw things (including himself), he BEGGED to stay home. This year, thanks to Children's University and Ms. Jackson (his teacher), he is a totally different child. He is excited to learn, to share what he's learned, and to be a part of a school. Just writing this brings tears to my eyes because I can, right this moment, hear him say proudly, "Mom, open up my folder. Look what I did today!"

Day Three: Being thankful for one's family is a given- and I will get back to them later- but for today I have to remark on a family other than the one with whom I share genes...
I have the best not-related-by-blood families in the world. Whether it's at the dojo, school, work, or play, I am so fortunate that we have fallen in with some of the best people. Everywhere we go in our lives, there are people with whom I would trust my children, my heart, my world. These are people who, for no reason other than because they rock, come to bat for me, us, etc. These are people who, without having to be asked, fill the gaps where they see them. These are people who know when to step aside, know when to step up, and know when I need some help to stand. They ask for nothing in return other than the same...and that I gladly give. I think of all the folks in our world who helped us in the last year especially, even if their help was simply the phone call that kept me from losing it, and I am so thankful, so thankful.

Day Four: Mrs. Jennifer Nations and the Ditto Dashers track club are day four's recipients of great thanks. Mrs. Nations reinstated the track club and, with the help of some Ditto moms who are lucky to be able to volunteer their time the way they do, also reinstated the Ditto Dash. Taidhgin and Eibhlin took to the club- and running!- and we started something as a family that has been fun and terribly rewarding. Thanks to Mrs. Nations and the track club, we ran a number of fun runs last year as a family of five- and then six!- and are planning on doing the same this year. I also have the good fortune to be able to volunteer with the track club this year and that is unbelievably uplifting! Who would have thought that by spending my time with 100 elementary school students I would come home feeling something other than a need for a stiff drink? Ha! But I do- I come home happy, both with my kids and with myself. I see more family runs, post-run trips to IHOP, and laps on the Ditto track in our future...and for that, I am truly grateful.

Day Five: I am thankful that Pre-K/K football is over. I know that sounds terrible, but holy crap is 8 am on Saturday morning a beating! Don't get me wrong, I am so glad that Connlaodh found a sport that he actually wants to do again, "Mom, I cannot wait for next year when I get to play REAL football.....TACKLE football!", but getting all six of us out of the house by 7:30 has been damn near impossible. So, thank you, Arlington Optimist, for providing Connlaodh with a niche...and for letting me sleep in next Saturday.

Day Six: My neighborhood is pretty freaking awesome. There are very few places left where a mother can send her four year old, six year old, and eight year old out to play for hours on end and know that they will not only come back safe and sound, but that someone will call the minute they go astray. When we bought our house eight years ago, we bought it for the size, the location, and the loft. Little did we know that, eight short years later, we would be in a position where those aspects of our home could be easily replaced elsewhere, but the neighborhood- the people, the kids, the safety, etc.- could not. I am so fortunate to be able to say, "Go out and play and don't come home until I call you!" without fearing for my children's well-being. My only fear is for our neighbors' sanity; one day with all of my kids is enough to drive anyone insane!

Day Seven: Thank you to my son, Taidhgin, for reminding me that there is still a shred of decency and compassion in the inherited hearts of the world. Taidhgin knows there is no Santa Claus (sorry, I didn't ruin that for anyone, did I?) and has done an amazing job of keeping the secret and sharing in the fun of watching the other kids believe. So tonight, when he handed me a letter he had written after Art Class, I was blown away how, in the midst of what was apparently a complicated and difficult Christmas list to write, he took the time to remember his siblings and remind ME to remember them, too:



Controlling for the obvious spelling issues, let's look at what is so amazing here that is brought me to tears: 1) he knows how to properly use the post-post-script abbreviation and 2) he says, "Don't show the kids!". I don't know what tugs at me more- the mere fact that he remembered them and asked me not to show them his letter or the fact that he refers to them as "the kids"; how old does that young soul feel some times? I love this boy for so many reasons; for today, I love him most for reminding me that while we often spend so much time thinking about what WE want, we need to spend just as much time remembering what others NEED.

No comments:

Followers