08 November 2011

A Tribute to Emerson and to My Gal Pals

Day Eight: Ralph Waldo Emerson said, " I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and new." Today this sentiment meant that much more to me, as today was the day of our November Girls' Night Out. Once a month, every month for the last three years, I have had the honor of meeting up with some of my brilliant, funny, beautiful girl friends for drinks, food, laughter, and tears. The restaurant changes every month, but the faces, for the most part, are constant. Emerson also said, "The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it." My monthly "home", then - be it BJ's, Gloria's, Babe's, or any one of the dozens of restaurants in the Metroplex -is among the most finely decorated homes in the world. I am indebted to these women for what they have given me over the years- love, belly laughs, support, rounds of drinks, food samples, encouragement, and the opportunity to wear my own hat for a while, play my own role, be something other than a placeholder for someone else. For these few short hours every month (though it used to be long hours back we when first started and closed the bars down!), I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Followers