19 November 2011

Three is a Magic Number

I am a little delayed in writing these...Friday night and last night both found me thankful for sleep, so that's what I did instead of write. I know you are devastated at the loss of two days' worth of wonderful words, so I shall indulge you tonight with a lengthy description of each days' thanks for the last three. Riiiight. I am so tired you'll be lucky to get a line or two for each (again, I know you're just beside yourself right now). Working backwards:

Day Twenty: Tonight I am so thankful for my children's love of books, both constant and newly found. Eibhlin has loved reading since before she was born and tonight she shared her zeal with her two younger brothers, reading to them two of the books from her assigned book list. I could her from down the hall, using the voices and emphasizing the words. I could also hear the giggles and laughter from Uilleam and Connlaodh as they just soaked up her excitement. Taidhgin, on the other hand, has finally found two series of books that he thoroughly enjoys. While the English teacher in me blanches at the thought of them (graphic novels- hell, COMIC BOOKS- for crying out loud!), the mother in me wells up at the sight of her oldest finally being engrossed in a story and enjoying himself so much that he doesn't ask if he his time is up yet!

Day Nineteen:
I haven't been big on telephone chit chat since some time in the early 90's, but nothing beats a conversation- be it by phone, chat, or text- with someone whose story you've known for almost three decades. Whether the news is good or bad, the conversation short or long, none of it matters. There's a feeling of coming home when you can fill in the blanks, understand the pause, know what that other person really means when they say, "Ummm..." There are so few folks with whom I share that time, that relationship, and so thankful I am for the few people in my life crazy enough to keep sharing their lives with me.

Day Eighteen: There is a little girl in the Ditto Dashers track club who is about three feet tall and just the cutest thing. She runs her laps as best she can, but since her legs are so little she only does about half as many laps as the other kids. Every Friday I leave my job ready to rid the world of children...then I see this little girl, and the other 75+ kids in the club, and I see their futures and their smiles and remind myself that they all start off small, hopeful, and giggling. The thought of this little girl and her infectious grin makes me smile even now. Thank you, my awesome little first graders!

No comments:

Followers